advanced search

Alternate Text

Blumka

Medieval and Renaissance Works of Art

Alternate Text 222 Central Park South, #3
New York City , NY 10019
United States


DESCRIPTION

Tony Blumka is a fourth-generation dealer in Medieval and Renaissance works of art. His great-grandfather started the family business in Vienna in the nineteenth century and his father Leopold moved the gallery to New York in 1939. He was later succeeded by Tony's mother, Ruth Blumka. In 1997 Tony opened Blumka Gallery at its Upper East Side location in Manhattan. The diverse range of gallery inventory features museum quality Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque artworks in various media, including enamels, bronzes, stone and wood sculpture. In 2024, Blumka Gallery has moved to its current location – the landmark Gainsborough Building at 222 Central Park South, New York.
For more than twenty years, Blumka Gallery has been exhibiting at TEFAF Maastricht, TEFAF New York, Frieze Masters, London and the Highlights International Art Fair, Munich. From 2000-2012, in collaboration with Julius Bohler, it organized a series of highly acclaimed exhibitions "Collecting Treasures of the Past,” held at Blumka Gallery, New York. The gallery has been responsible, through both sales and donations, for the development and enrichment of public and private collections in America and Europe. The Blumkas played a prominent role in enhancing the Bondy, Brummer, Linsky, Untermeyer and Wyvern collections. They have also expanded those of public institutions, such as The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Cleveland Museum of Art; The Detroit Institute of Arts; The Frick Collection; The J.Paul Getty Museum; The Metropolitan Museum of Art; The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum; The Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna; The Bonnefantenmuseum; and the Louvre.